Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Information Organization and Access

And yet again I find myself reading something new from danah (Information Access in a Networked World) and wishing I could incorporate it into my overbloated paper in process!

Okay no she's talking about the very obvious (but I forget because I'm one of them) way youth venture through websites and hypermedia. Since everything is interconnected (think speaking with links on Wikipedia or related groups and persons on Facebook, etc...) students run around web resources in a non-linearized fashion (whatever grabs us, the cool picture, the funny wording, whatever, it gets a follow-up click or new tab/window). The way we're absorbing information is different then just reading a book.

So a couple of major questions: How can information scientists redesign systems to incorporate this? How can we track the way students think online? I'm sure website managers and the gauntlet of marketing researchers have already begun to investigate this but I can bet you good money IS is behind...

So here we have it - a call for a study on how students become informed by Web 2.0 technologies. We can ask all of our fun teacher questions like how effective this method of learning or soaking information might be or what we need to teach in response!